Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2024

Green Beret Fitness : Operation PAWS (CLT)

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Saturday, June 1:

Read "Arthur" by Mikael Lindnord.  I wonder why dogs get attached to certain people and have that special bond.


Sunday, June 2:

8.6 mile nose breathed trail run in 2:07:58 in Altra Superiors at Latta Nature Preserve.




Monday, June 3:

Flow - Day 7 - Synch & Day 15 - Balance Yoga with Adriene


Tuesday, June 4:

Glute and Pec PT v1 in 33:44, 18A "Dip Abs" in 24:04


Wednesday, June 5:

At the international fair at work, I got a Henna dog.  It was a special request.


After work, 9 miles on a 2 degree treadmill in 1:59:36 nose breathing, with an average HR of 130 according to the treadmill and 146 according to my watch, wearing Lime Green Kinvaras.  Experimenting with Zone 2 and paying attention to my body helped to pass the time, even without anything to listen to or watch.

The dog evolved over the course of the day.


Thursday, June 6:

82nd Airborne workout in 1:22:30 with Mark at Renaissance Park with a 30#R and 30#SB




It worked out pretty well to host it here.  We did the SB PT in the grass, and then we got to do the ruck loop on the sand of the volleyball court.  Fitting for a D-Day memorial workout.


Friday, June 7:

18A "Upper Body Prep" in 28:58, "Pull-ups" in 32:19... I struggled even with the low rep range, but I have to start back up somewhere.


GBF OPERATION PAWS - CLT

Moogie hosted Operation Paws in CLT.  On the same day, similar events were being held in other parts of the country, too.  The goal was to collect donations to support local animal shelters.  

No dogs joined us, but I did have my henna tattoo.


We took a pre-ruck picture:


We hiked up Tower Trail:


We enjoyed the views from the overlook:






It's cool that you can see the city from here:



We retraced our steps a little, then went down on Rocktop Trail, which has some neat rock hopping sections:



And we came back up along Crowder's Trail.



We did it!


And we were able to collect a decent amount for the animals.  I had gone to Walmart right beforehand and picked out a variety of things that I felt like dogs might enjoy.


It was fun to ruck for a good cause with the group!


COLEMAN'S CREEK

Afterwards, I went to Coleman's to get some shooting in.

After zeroing by adjusting 0.3 up and 0.3 right, and confirming at 100yd on paper dialing 1.8 up, I practiced prone, double-kneeling, modified prone, and standing, with the grey ops plate.  It was interesting comparing where the groups landed, depending on the position.


I went to the cowboy bay next to do some of Scott's pistol drill, before going for multiple targets.  It took a few tries, but I eventually had a clean run.


As it began to get dark, I shot my old LMT to see whether the Modlite with a new Surefire DS200 tailcap would fare any better than my other tailcaps.  It still flickered when I shot, but at least it didn't go down completely.

I did feel lots of gas blowback.  I changed handguards recently.  I wonder whether I accidentally changed a gas setting while doing so.  I don't remember gas being an issue before.


At night, I shot pistol and my newer LMT, switching between passive and active.  I used a couple of different props, but nothing super fancy.  Just trying to get familiar with all the gear and different settings that work best in different environments.

No comments: