Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Whirlwind: CLT, CHS, then ATL for for GORUCK Team Tactics, DEN

CLT


Sunday, Jun 5:

HDT 31.5.3 (Arms) in a whopping 1:54:33!

Monday, Jun 6:

Yoga for Fresh Start with Adriene for 46 min on Youtube.

Tuesday, Jun 7:

3 min max squat thrusts, then HDT 31.6.1 (Legs) in 53 min, followed by a 2 mile strict ruck in Kinvaras with 40# instead of 30# in the speed rucker by accident because I didn't realize that I had an extra SB in there.

Wednesday, Jun 8:

HDT 31.6.3 (Core) in 54 min, followed by the Sanddoom 20 min AMRAP with a 30#SB with a PR on reps.

At Blackstone, I got to do a special bowling pin shoot, which was fun.


Thursday, Jun 9:

HDT 31.6.2 (Arms) in 39 min.  I did some miles with Cabarrus Ruck Club afterwards, in MACV1s with 30# in the speed rucker, in 1:13:55.




Friday, Jun 10:

Total Body Yoga Deep Stretch with Adriene


CHS

Saturday, Jun 11:

Did a neighborhood loop with my dad in CHS in the evening, wearing 30# in the 25L Rucker v2.1 and Salomon XA Comps.


Sunday, Jun 12:

My BB Greg and I were in the tie breaker for HDT.  It was his first time doing HDT, and I couldn't have asked for a better partner.  He worked hard, and we communicated with and encouraged each other regularly.  

The tie breaker was a 30 min BW AMRAP, which I did in the subdivision fitness room, since I had space to really move around in there.  My dad came, too.  I didn't have my usual round counters, so I used credit cards from my wallet.  That was a first.  


We won, as expected.  Greg is strong, and even runs faster than I do.


Monday, Jun 13:

Helped my dad take care of some trees.



In the evening, a neighborhood 2 miles in a different direction with my dad, wearing 30# in the 25L v2.1 rucker.


Tuesday, Jun 14:

A non-rucking beach walk with my dad at IOP.  It's always fun to see what the waves bring ashore, and to enjoy the sunrise.





In the evening, we played on the wii.


Wednesday, Jun 15:

I went back the next morning for a proper 6 mile beach ruck, with a 5:12am sunrise.  The sand that I walked on was very soft this time, with the exception of one section near a protected bird nesting area where we had to go closer to the water.  I used MACV1s as usual for my beach rucks, since they drain well and can take a beating.  I wore 30# in the v2.1 25L rucker.






I covered 6 miles in 2:13:55, slower than usual because of the deep sand.  


You never know what you'll find at the beach!  Also, all-weather mats for the win.  They are a must-have for any kind of adventurer.

Said goodbye to Mt. P for now, and headed to Folly Beach...


This frog stuffed animal, by the way, may be one of the worst choices of stuffed animals to sleep with.  It has some mechanical (non-electronic) croaking device in it whenever he moves around.  Not that it stops me from sleeping with it...


The tide was way high that night, which may be related to the fact that the moon was huge.  At SB's Folly Beach family getaway, we watched the moon rise, which might've been a first for me.  That's pretty cool that I got to see a sunrise and a moon rise on the same day.


Thursday, Jun 16:

This was a pretty cool place to work remotely for the day...


SB joined me for the RuckWOD.com Jun 16, 2022 18 min AMRAP, followed the the Jun 15, 2022 core workout in 12 min.




Afterwards, we played around with backwards 10#SKB tosses, a la GORUCK Games.  I have still not figured out the technique (or I lack that kind of strength altogether).  The others did well, though!  The sand on the beach offered a convenient way to mark distances per contestant.

Always some awesome views here...


Friday, Jun 17:

I woke up early to do another little beach walk (no ruck).  The sunrise colors were even more spectacular.  I was hoping to find shark teeth, too, but no luck on that front.  I did get to see dolphins swim really close to shore, though!  It was almost magical.





SB still had to do a beach ruck for PATHFINDER Ruck Training, so I joined her.  I used MACV1s again, and carried 30# in the 25L v2.1 rucker.  It was relaxing and fun to just ruck and chat.  I treasure these times.  

The Mudgear rock socks that I tried for the first time were soft and comfortable, but they did pill on the outside, so I'm not sure how durable they'll be over time.  We went in the morning, so we had to keep a good pace to be back in time for work meetings.  We did 6 miles in 1:33:49.


I was pooped by the end of the day!




ATL

I went directly from CHS to ATL for a Team Tactics rifle sim class with GORUCK Tactical.  I skipped Constellation, since it was a travel day, and since its gear list is pretty extensive, and I've already done three before.

I met up and stayed with a friend in town.  It was good to catch up with him.  I first met him during college, a brother of a good friend, but we became friends, too.  I don't talk much in general, but conversation flows easily for me with some rare people, and he's one of them.


At TT, we learned how to carefully clear door frames and go around corners.


We practiced low ready (which helps you see peoples' hands and waistlines), inside carry (to let others pass), high port, and deep tuck (to go around corners more efficiently).  


We practiced how to approach T-intersections, L-intersections, and plus sign intersections in teams, with the different roles of each team member.


A unique thing about this facility was that there were lots of stairs that we could use.  I'm not sure that I was able to grasp how to position myself as we bounded up the stairs properly, though.  The muzzle control situation there is more complex, for sure, because on a spiraling set of stairs, your teammates will soon be traveling into and across the direction that you're providing security against, and there are teammates below and potentially above you.  Pointing outwards is the solution, but when to do it may be what I need to review more.


We also got to learn how to breach mechanically.  I didn't get hands-on with this one, since others were more eager to do it, which was fine by me.

With a good outdoor environment to use, we got to approach a house with our team, too.  Everyone thinks they're a hotshot until they're put in even a simulated situation with people firing back.




DEN


Monday, Jun 20:

The last part of this whirlwind of cities was an overnight trip to Denver for work.  Before I left, I did squeeze in a body weight workout... HDT IR17-18.2.1 (legs and core) in 42:48, followed by 3x(10 front raises, 10 curls right, 10 curls left, with a 13#SKB) in 5:30.

Too bad I couldn't stay longer!  Even the glimpses of the front range from near the airport are awe-inspiring.



No comments: